As you may have heard by now, Google has announced that as of 1st July they will be closing its RSS feed service Google Reader. I have been using it for a number of years now alongside Google’s listen app on my android phone to keep track off my podcast subscriptions. It was the easiest way I had found to subscribe and listen to podcast rather than using iTunes and the various hacks that get that working on non apple devices. Anyway I am now like many others in the search of a new RSS reader and a new app to sort out Podcasts all preferably for free. So I’m going to look at suggestions and list them here for future reference and in the hope that it will assist others in their search. RSS Reader
- Feedly – Currently relying on google reader but apparently have a plan in place to switch to their own RSS service.
- Flipboard – A nice reader
- Newsblur– The most Google reader like replacement.
Conclusion Podcast Apps (Android)
- Double Twist —– This is an iTunes replacement it was pretty good when I used it last.
- Stitcher Radio —– Requires login. Can use Facebook details. Nice interface and nice to use. Also Web based No import feature?
- BeyondPod — A paid for a “lite” version although you get 7 days worth of the full version for free. Nice interface. Allows import from google reader
- Podkicker —- Theres a free and a paid for version of this podcast. Currently missing the import from reader on the free version.
Conclusion for now I’m using BeyondPod it allowed me to import my podcasts from reader pretty easily. Depending on what happens in 7 days when the full version reverts to the “lite” version I’ll probably continue to use it. I would have loved to use Stitcher radio I really like the interface of the app but without an option to import feeds or import directly from reader it is a bit too much work than I’m willing to put in. (If it did have this option it would be my app of choice. I’m kind of hoping i just missed it in the options) Other
- Google Takeout —- This allows you to export your google reader data to various xml files for easier transition
I will update this post as I find new replacements of course if you know of one or use one regularly that’s not mentioned or have views on something I have mentioned please leave a message in the comments or contact me on twitter @CTyxxxx
A few weeks on and I think its due time that I told you what I got on with. I really liked BeyondPod but after the free trial was up and I discovered the price of the fully unlocked version I decided that £4 was a bit too much especially for someone who was looking for a free alternative.
I decided to search for another app that would fit the bill and hopefully be free and I finally stumbled upon one called PodcastAddict. This pretty much did what BeyondPod did although not as smoothly or pretty but does what I needed and the best thing is that its free.